Students who would like to discuss options or ideas for post-graduate studies are very welcome to contact us.
Process for Prospective Students
- An initial discussion either in person or electronically (chat, email,voice/video-call, ...) in order to understand your interests and aims and possible options of addressing these within the SESAr research group.
- Identifying, refining and agreeing on a research topic and the research guidance/supervision
- Writing a research proposal (see template) which needs to be accepted by the University.
- Formal registration for the degree at Stellenbosch University.
Open Research Topics
For a post-graduate student it is important that you select a topic which enthuses you. Chances are that you will stay in the selected field during any further studies and potentially even in your career. To this end we are very open for you to suggest a topic which interests you. We will assess whether it would be appropriate for us to supervise your field of interest or whether you would benefit in approaching a different research group, either at Stellenbosch University or another institution. So, feel free to suggest your own research topic.
Below are some topics you could consider:
Research questions to be addressed by this topic:
Integrating Software Architecture Design with Application Design (M or D level, depending on chosen scope).
Context:Application design focuses on designing the application functionality addressing the functional requirements of the application. Software architecture design is, on the other hand, concerned with designing a software infrastructure addressing the non-functional requirements for the application(s) to be developed within that software architecture. This involves choosing architectural patterns and tactics as well as concepts and constraints for application development within the software architecture. The choice of tactics (e.g. load balancing, queuing, scheduling, ...) ultimately leads to functional requirements for the software architecture itself which can be seen, at a lower level of granularity as application design.
- How are software architecture and application models linked?
- What are the benefits/disadvantages of separating software architecture and application design?
- Can we generate a software system providing the functionality specified in the application model within a software architecture specified by the architecture model.
IEEE 42010 Compliance of URDAD and SyMAD models (M-level project)
Using Domain-Specifc Language Technologies for Analysis and Design methods.